Colas Rail has more than 35 years’ experience managing and delivering high-speed rail projects.
We have been involved in key strategic projects in France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Morocco, South Korea and the UK.
We have delivered the track on 14 high speed lines in both ballastless and ballasted track systems in open route and tunnels extending to over 6602 Single Track Kilometres (STK).
Colas Rail’s high-speed Overhead Catenary Systems (OCS) experience is significant having delivered 4151STK many of which currently operate at 320km/h.
Our services include project management, coordination, installation, testing and commissioning and maintenance as well as the integration of our supply chain for the benefit of our clients, stakeholders and rail network users.
A few project highlights include:
- Morocco Lignes à Grande Vitesse (LGV): this was the first high speed line in Africa, 185km of new double track and OCS between Tangier and Kenitra, with a design speed of 320km/h.
- Frankfurt to Cologne High Speed Line: the first line in Germany built for exclusive passenger high-speed transport, extending 177km of which 43.8km of double track slip-form track, with a design speed of 300 km/h.
- High Speed 1 (Channel Tunnel Rail Link) Section 1: Colas Rail built 74km of new high-speed double track line from the Channel Tunnel to Fawkham Junction in north Kent, with a design speed of 300 km/h, including the OCS and Mechanical and Electrical equipment and services.
- Contournement ferroviaire de Nîmes et Montpellier (CNM): was the first mixed high-speed LGV line dedicated to both passenger and freight transport. Colas Rail were responsible for building 80km of new high-speed track and OCS initially designed to 220km/h for passengers and then increased to 300km/h.
- Turin – Milan High Speed Line: as part of a consortia, where Colas Rail are the lead party for the Overhead Catenary and High Voltage Power Systems, we were awarded the technological upgrade over the entire high-speed section to increase the line speed from its current operational speed of 300km/h to 360km/h.